Sunday 8 November 2015

Day 12 Windermere to Scorton

After a relaxing rest day, and some much needed bike maintenance, I was away by 8am, taking a cycle path out of Windermere, then backroads through Stavely and Bowston to Kendal, which was very bike friendly. Then heavy rain started, and the headwind picked up. The NCN6 through Natland to Milnthorpe, then Silverdale. The wind was now blowing uninterrupted across the sea and it was hard going. I stopped in Carnforth for a coffee, and couldn't help noticing a half smile on the lips of the girl that served me. The source of her mirth became apparent when I caught my reflection in a window. I was wearing a yellow rain cover over my helmet, and it looked as though a lemon and meringue pie was sitting on my head. I hastily stuffed it in a pocket.
Carnforth to Lancaster







From Carnforth I followed the Lancaster Canal south, on a brilliant tarmac towpath that would have had the South Lanarkshire road repair department looking at the floor in shame.I passed a pike angler about to cast out a deadbait.Anything doing? No mate, I’m the world’s worst fisherman.I never catch anything.A piscatorial version of Marvin the


Lune Aqueduct
Paranoid Android. The route then went over the impressive Lune Aqueduct, which was apparently painted by Turner. He must have had a bloody big tin of paint. Things took an odd near Lancaster, where I passed a drunk tacking his way to windward and slugging beer from a bottle, then there was a totally unselfconscious teenager wearing a leopard suit, padding along the tow path as if this was all perfectly normal behaviour. I briefly considered donning my yellow helmet raincover on the grounds that it would help me blend in with the locals. From Lancaster I'd planned to continue along the canal, but in an absolute deluge I was accosted by four road bikers who led me through the university grounds and onto the backroads to Scorton. It was my first deviation from The Plan, and I was disappointed that I hadn't continued, as I'm sure it would have been a struggle but still doable. However it did mean I got to spend a wonderful night in The Priory at Scorton, where £45 got me a huge room and a bathroom with a bath the size of a small swimming pool. It had great food, good beer and really friendly service. Best accommodation of the trip! 







Day stats 79km 593 Metres of ascent
Off road 24km 
A road 4km 
B road 2km  
Unclassified road 49km

No comments:

Post a Comment