Tuesday 24 November 2015

Day 18 Kineton to Monkton Combe

I had a shocking night's sleep in rain and heavy gusts, but still managed to be away by 7.30, headlamp on in the gloom.The River Windrush was chocolate-brown after the rain, which thankfully had stopped. After a busy couple of k's on a B road over the Naunton Downs it was bliss to get onto the backroads through Salperton, Compton Abdale and Cassey Compton. The steep climbs were less blissful, and it was a rollercoaster of a route. Just down the valley from Cassey Compton was Chedworth Roman Villa. Anywhere discovered by a gamekeeper digging for his errant ferret has to be worth a look, but it would have to wait until next time.
The White Way, another Roman road was relatively level going, though the knee was still quite sore and a bit of a worry. Cirencester was busy, with stalls, bunting and folk dressed up in peasant clothing. Fearing an outbreak of morris dancing I fled to the nearest Costa, and lined up two flat whites, a croissant and a carrot cake. I left Cirencester in drizzle, struggled to find the NCN45, but eventually escaped, eventually joining the NCN254 into Malmesbury, then Foxley and Norton. I had a second lunch in Corsham (mum's packed lunch was on its second day!), a town which had good NCN signs (though I confess I was cursing at one unsigned T junction until I realised it was one-way!) Back roads and a short section of B road led to Bradford-on-Avon, picturesque and surprisingly busy. I fled the travel and scuttled down to the Kennet and Avon Canal and the NCN4, for instant peace and quiet, but with some trepidation. I was still carrying the scars of the Coventry Canal puncturefest.
Bradford-on-Avon
The towpath was wide enough for a car, and I followed it for 7km. The Avoncliff Aqueduct was confusing, and I was pleased to see four other cyclists looking equally bemused. Once you realise the towpath changes sides it makes sense. I was soon at the Dundas Aqueduct and the Dundas Wharf where the original crane, tollhouse and warehouse still stand. It was a great wee trip along the canal: no punctures, and a light calm evening with even some patches of blue sky.
Kennet and Avon Canal
I followed the NCN24 along the Somerset Coal Canal for a short distance, then joined the railway line which put the canal out of business. At Monkton Combe I was planning to continue along the Collier's Way which went through farmland and would be ideal stealth camping country.  At that point though I spotted the Wheelwright's Arms, and temptation set in. It was only 4pm and I could have biked for another half hour, but the knee was nagging away, so I went in to see if they had a room. It was nearly twice the price of The Priory and didn't serve breakfast until 8, but they had a row of real ale pumps at the bar, and a very tempting menu, so I booked in. They even let me put my bike in the room! I hung all the damp gear up, but couldn't get the radiator to turn on, so reception sent over a chap with some pliers. He twisted a hidden knob and got it going, so I headed off to the bar for food and beer, both of which were excellent. There were two couples also eating in the bar. Remarkably four of us were ex-teachers, and I wondered what the collective known would be. An escaping, a relief or maybe a husk of ex-teachers? One chap asked why I was cycling to Land's End, and I said it was my diet plan. "Is it working?" "Yes it certainly is" He nodded to his not insubstantial wife and said "There you go." She shot him a look that suggested he could forget about sex for the foreseeable future.
Dundas Wharf
Back in the room the heat hit me as I opened the door. Plier Man came back and turned off the radiator, but I still lay there spreadeagled on the bed and sweating profusely with all the windows open, for at least an hour. I greatly feared for the prawn mayonnaise sandwiches that I'd bought for tomorrow's lunch, so I filled the sink with water and left them floating there for the night. At least the kit would be dry.

Day stats 102km  733 Metres of ascent
Off road 9km 
A road 0.5km 
B road  8.5km 
Unclassified road 84km



No comments:

Post a Comment